Monday, November 19, 2007

More funny titles

Maybe this is getting old for all of you, but there's really not much more I can do to entertain myself at work.

Favorite titles:
  • The common sense book of drinking
  • Hopes and fears: scenes from the life of a spinster
  • Metric units to unite the world
  • The evolution of the snob
  • The mule on the minaret
  • Festal postlude (which isn't that funny, except that I first read it as "Fetal postlude")
  • The sacred and profane love machine
  • The naked bishop
  • Single and human
  • A short history of fingers
  • Faith, love and seaweed
  • St. Anne's gut
  • The sacred circle of the hula hoop
  • Homework and sweating

And my very favorite:

  • The golden rules of gynecology

For some fiction books, the digital record gives a short plot summary. Reading some of them leads me to think that maybe it would be better to not try to summarize the plot and let the reader be surprised.

  • While a school group is visiting the great temple at Nara, one young Japanese boy becomes separated from the Group, and, while finding his way back to the bus, helps a lost deer and two lost North Americans.
  • A little boy of India, who loves his pet kid too well to let his father sell him, becomes a successful flute accompanist to the small goat's dancing.
  • A twelve-year-old girl and two unusual friends conspire to prevent a retired sea captain from being sent to a home.
  • A moose-child goes north looking for other moose-children, but on the way he finds other playmates right in his own forest.

If this post makes you jealous of my job, the company is hiring in December.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Les, you're back! Hooray hooray!

gramela said...

Hi Leslie, you cutie, you.

I visited Kari after Christmas, and she introduced me to your blog. (When do people have time to write or read these things...which is not meant to be critical or rude.) If they are all as entertaining as your blog, then I'm game to read.

I'm posting here because I cracked up while reading your list of books, and it reminded me of my favorite titles from my days working at the Uintah County Library in Vernal. Here they are: (my top three)
1) Making It With Mademoiselle (about makeup)
2) The Pig With One Nostril
3) Gay Parties for All Occasions
(a book which was obviously sorely outdated)

I love ya! Pam Hatch