Thursday, September 20, 2007

If you squint your eyes, my job can be seen as entertaining

To keep myself entertained at work, I keep a list of out-of-the-ordinary titles and authors that I see while going through the card catalogs. Here are a few of my top picks.

Interesting author names:

  • Alphonso Elkin Cumberbatch
  • Sir George Dancer
  • Hugh Huger
  • George Newt Best
  • Hugh Playfair
  • Alois Alzheimer
  • Charles Edwin Heartstill
  • Jesse W. Peebles
  • D.S. Rumph
  • Someone with the last name of Boobyer

Interesting/weird/funny titles of books or articles:

  • Know your Oklahoma fishes
  • The world of the wild turkey
  • New ways with partridges
  • A ruffian in feathers: the English sparrow
  • The house sparrow: the avian rat
  • Canary culture for amateurs
  • Monthly hints to canary fanciers
  • Giddiness of cloven-hoofed game
  • Pheasants and their enemies
  • How to live with a parakeet

Funniest publisher:

  • Kinki University

5 comments:

heath said...

Kinki University?! That's pretty great--is it in Australia? Ummm, so apparently you're cataloging a lot of books about birds. That's great. I don't know why but I just thought of this line: "It sounds as if he's eating a worrisome amount of pork." And you could respond, "I have no response to that." Why am I so funny?

Tim said...

I guess there's a little bit of a bird lover in all of us! I think a great book would describe how to raise the bird and then how to cook the bird. Sort of an extended cookbook: "Cheep treats: how to live with a parakeet and roast it when you're ready" by Bernie Skewer.

heath said...

Ummm, Les, I think you should post something. Tell a funny story--was it you that had the watermelon story? I liked that one.

Melinda said...

Les, it's been more than a month! I'm going through withdrawal!

heath said...

Leslie, post already! (No more begging and pleading--we're demanding now.)