Thursday, November 29, 2007

The pits

Today I had a dream come true. No, some hot guy did not propose to me. No, I did not acquire omniscience. I was still judged by the color of my skin and not by the content of my character (well, maybe not) and I did not suddenly become independently wealthy.

But, the most realistic of my dreams came true when the Utah Symphony called me up and asked me to play for the opera in January: Tosca by Puccini, my favorite opera composer. For those of you who may not know, I absolutely love playing for operas. It's a perfect mix of music, drama and spectacle, topped off by the wonderful feeling of anonymity that comes from playing in an orchestra pit. There's something so relieving about people not being able to see me when I'm playing. It seems kind of silly, since the reason people usually go to concerts is to hear a performance not see it. But I usually like feeling invisible so pit playing is perfect for me.

So instead of having to wear a silly costume and wear pounds of makeup like this:

Or be uber dramatic like this:




I get to sit in a dark, cold pit like this:





I'd imagine that a professional orchestra opera pit would be a little less relaxed than the ones I experienced in my college days. Those usually included lots of snacks and goofing off. You never know, though. Musicians of any caliber can be kind of strange.



And here's a picture that came up when I did a Google image search for "opera diva". I don't understand it but it sure is interesting.


5 comments:

heath said...

Leslie, I love your posts! I wish you would post more often (no pressure though--just saying). That is a pretty fantastic picture. Thanks for not neglecting it.

Melinda said...

Les, congratulations! I'm glad that this dream job did finally materialize. Have lots of fun in the pit, ok?

Lauren said...

I'm so proud of you!!! Mostly for updating your blog...and a little bit for scoring your dream job!!!!!!!!!

Lauren Bo Boren

Kelly said...

Congrats Leslie! I am excited for you.

Tim said...

Way to go, Les! I wish I could see the opera.
One question: which one is the opera diva?